Friday, June 29, 2007

B.R.T






Saturday was bike riding day for the Inmon's. I left first for an hour spin around the Carolina countryside out Northeast of our neighborhood. The ride stats were pretty in line with last weeks debacle, a little shorter distance, but a little quicker average speed. Still at the speed of slow! But it felt really good to get out and enjoy the hot, humid day. I met a couple of guy's last week that were informing me of the number of race teams in Columbia, at least three teams that race and two to three more that are more in line with Springbike club. We have a Tuesday Night Worlds Crit ride, Wednesday "track" night, (come on down Pro Brad and show these guys a thing or two) numerous weekly night rides, a couple of 5:45 a.m. rides, the Friday night Beer ride. The Wednesday track ride takes place on a historic old NASCAR race track named the Old Columbia Speedway. Richard Petty got his first win here, names like Fireball Roberts, Ned Jarrett, Ralph Earnhardt, and Lee Petty all got there first taste of racing on this track. What I am eluding to is that there is enough riding around here to get your "daily" fix if time would allow. As soon as I get my lame ass in better shape I will jump into some of the group rides.


After I finished up my yard work Terri took Tanner and Charlee on a ride around the neighborhood. We have some great paved trails that run along all of the roads throughout Lake Carolina, just like the Greenway trails in Swingtown. Midway through their ride they pulled over for a little ice cream treat in the town Center before heading back home. Now that is the way to ride! Charlee Ann is going to be just like Terri, very head strong and competitive. At the bottom of this pretty big hill Terri was helping push Charlee up when suddenly Charlee yells "I can make this hill!" Adios baby, she powered off and left Terri and Tanner in her dust! Afterwards I asked her if she had a name for her bike, she said not yet but looked at her purple bike and proclaimed her "flower". Nice name, very good, what should I call my bike? She wasn't very sure, said she better take a look at it. After studying it for a few seconds it came to her...Big Rolling Turd! Now I don't know if she was really referring to me or the bike, but she loved it, couldn't stop laughing.

Now keep in mind we had just recently watched the movie RV where the kids in the show call the motor home a BRT, but pretty funny anyway. So I go from my previous Specialized bike aptly named "Old Blackey" to a "big rolling turd". There you have it sports fans! Enjoy the pics of the BRT, and the kids in action on their bikes. Off to blow up some fireworks with the kids.


Thanks for reading, Y'all tune in again soon.

3 comments:

ScottyD said...

Is that your house?!?! Damn livin large in Carolina. I'm all about a Friday night beer ride. Might have to get one going in the SPR.

hoepn

Anonymous said...

Did Cale Yarborough do any racin at that track? That's my namesake BTW. My WT roots run deep...CMac

Steve Inmon said...

Cale, I knew that you would be the only one who appreciated the Nascar reference and I remember you telling me about your namesake. (Very Cool) Go WT baby!

You guy's have to get a beer ride going, last Friday night about 60 showed.

Not living too large, Scotty, just trying to get by!