Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Kidde...

No not the baby, but the fire extinguisher brand (Kidde). I highly recommend everyone out there to purchase one for your home, they are easy to use, lightweight, affordable, pack a powerful punch and readily available at any Lowe's home improvement store. Everything you look for in a fire extinguisher, right? Well it turns out that Sunday night after enjoying our peaceful night out back on the deck writing this blog that we had a little issue. After putting the caps on all the tiki torches to extinguish them we headed on in the house to get ready for bed. Suddenly Terri saw a bright glow appear out our living room window to the back yard. Hmmm, what could that be I thought? After a quick investigation peering over the deck I see that the dead flora and grass in our landscape garden are flaming up about four to five feet. At this time Terri meets me trying to come outside as I am headed in. Not wanting her to get upset and pop out Jackson in an untimely fashion on the kitchen floor I hold her by the shoulders and tell her to just sit down and breathe deeply. I have it under control. My first response was to grab one of our Rita buckets fill it with water and douse the fire, but quickly realized it will take all day to fill the five gallon bucket in the sink. But what did I purchase when we moved in? A fire extinguisher! I grab it out of the pantry, pull the red pin, walk quickly out the door and onto the deck where I pull the trigger, BAM! That stuff really comes out fast and furious! Fire is gone!
Whoo Hooo! Damn, now that will get your blood pumping.
Apparently the cause of the fire was one of the torches left by the previous owner had really long wicks and when I put on the cap part of the wick fell to the ground and simmered for a bit before raging into a five alarm Inmon fire. Terri took it really well actually. She said that she was glad to see me handle the situation with such calmness, (must have been the Rita's I drank).
Now at least I don't have to cut out that dead part of the garden.
I will post a pic later tonight. Just glad that the vinyl siding or the deck did not catch on fire!

Met the baby doc again yesterday, still at two centimeters and 75% effaced. Both Mom and baby are well. We will keep you posted. Headed home to get a ride in tonight, hope to maybe get in about 500 meters with Charlee Ann, she does not yet get into the hills (neither do I). That whole hand brake thing still spooks her a bit.

Glad to read all the great comments from the previous post. Good to hear from you all. Any of you Springburg bikers that would be interested in coming down for the Pro Road and TT championships in Greenville August 31-Sept. 2 let me know. Have space, may load up the motor home. Only about an hour and a half from Cola.

Thanks for reading, y'all (local verbiage) tune in again soon.

6 comments:

Shane L Nelson said...

Next time if you need to borrow Sponge he is quite the Assistant Fire Chief. If you remember he helped me with a little blaze I had a couple of years back.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! Atleast the fire didn't hit the house, alway the bright side!
Tell Charlee Ann congrats on riding her bike. She will get the hang of it. Going down hill is much more fun than uphill:)
Tell Tanner Hi!
Miss you All!
Whitney

Anonymous said...

Oh that is right, pine tree out back wasn't it Shane.
Hopefully this will be my first and last time to play fire chief!
Steve

Anonymous said...

Glad you took care of that. Jackson does not need Fire Fighter experience! Mom

Anonymous said...

PS, I love this blog.

Mom

Anonymous said...

man, you are having an exciting month.
Byron